Saturday, November 15, 2008

A Thanksgiving Prayer

A THANKSGIVING PRAYER
Oh, God, when I have food help me to remember the hungry;
When I have work, help me to remember the jobless;
When I have a warm home help me to remember the homeless;
When I am without pain help me to remember those who suffer;
And remembering, help me to destroy my complacency and bestir my compassion.
Make me concerned enough to help, by word and deed, those who cry out for what we take for granted.

-- Samuel F. Pugh
With Thanksgiving approaching, it's normal to think about what you're thankful for, but this is something I try to do every day. I believe in the power of Gratitude Lists, and focusing on what you have, rather than what you don't have. In fact, recently I realized I was verbalizing "how tiring teaching is" to almost everyone I talked to, and that I was only making myself MORE tired by talking about it so often! Sooo, I changed my approach and now I think of myself as having abundant energy and I avoid talking about being tired. And, it has made a difference!!
Gratitude is a powerful process!!

2 comments:

The Smith crew said...

How true! I love that prayer, this year especially when so many people are struggling. Remembering to be grateful always helps to get us outside of ourselves and do more for others. Thanks sis, love ya and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Garrett Gang said...

Okay, I had no idea you had a blog! I'm glad I checked Reid's email for him today!! I'll be checking-in on you more often!

Love ya!!