Friday, July 10, 2009

The island of Nevis











We took one day to go see the island of Nevis; it was a 45-minute ferry ride. St Kitts is 69 square miles and Nevis is half that size. Nevis is also less inhabited. There are no tall buildings, no fast food, and it's also more expensive. Nevis is surrounded by the Caribbean Sea. We took a tour around the whole island: saw a couple of sugar plantations, got to see a school (you know I had to get a picture with all the kiddos!), saw a church that was 400 years old. We also learned about some of the history, like the fact that Alexandar Hamilton was born on Nevis. One funny thing happened while we were on Nevis: after we took a dip in the Caribbean Sea, we changed into dry clothes, and being the sometimes-forgetful person that I am, I left my swimsuit in the bathroom!! Well, I realized that the next day, after we had returned to St Kitts, and since I knew the name of the place where I left it, I called them up to see if they found the suit, and they did. After explaining to them how MUCH I love that suit and how much it would mean to me if I could get it back :) they said they would put it on the 5:00 ferry and I could pick it up at the St Kitts Port at 5:45. So, I asked one of the Marriott guys to take me to the Port to pick it up, and wah-lah! There was the captain of the ferry, holding a parcel that contained my suit! Wow! Talk about being NICE! I'm not sure someone would have gone out of their way like that, here in the U.S., for just a SWIMSUIT :) But of course, tourism is the #1 source of revenue over there, so being hospitable to tourists is probably something they just already do! :)

No comments: