Thursday, July 9, 2009

St Kitts and Nevis, Part 2












The first night that Heidi and I arrived in St Kitts, we stayed at Bird Rock Beach & Hotel (funny, because there is a community called Bird Rock in San Diego, actually in La Jolla) The rest of the group was arriving the next night, where we would then check in at the Marriott. We were glad we got to spend the first night at Bird Rock Beach because we experienced a different part of the island, and as you can see from the pictures, it was beautifully situated right next to the water. We could heard the waves crashing against the rocks at night :) There was one thing about the hotel that we weren't fond of, however: no air conditioning!! Which meant we had to leave the door open at night, and I woke up in the middle of the night, itching like crazy. I turned on the light and there were TONS of mosquitoes on the wall! I started to use a newspaper to smash them. I laid down again to go back to sleep and I could hear this "bzzzz" in my ear! AAAHH! So, Heidi says to me, "Put the sheet over you and they can't get to you" so I did that. Which means that I was just SWEATING, with this sheet over my head. In the morning, we woke up to find mosquito bites on our legs and arms, and although we were HATING the itchiness, we laughed about it later because we realized it was indeed a funny story. That first night, we went to what they call "The Strip" it's where restaurants and bars are situated, right along the water, and all the night activities take place there. There's a picture of me during the day, at The Strip, you can see the buildings, more like "shacks", behind me. (One night, they had a bonfire and a fire-eater; he did this amazing show!) The next night, the whole group went to the St Kitts Music Festival, where Regina Belle, T-Pain and KC & the Sunshine Band performed. The Festival just happened to coincide with our trip; how cool is that?! I loved the local music; reggae and calypso are the main types of music played. I even met a famous reggae singer from Jamaica named Luciano; there are 2 pictures of me with him and also his bass player.

1 comment:

Lesley said...

I had to hide under the sheets once when we were at Island Park. It was so bloody hot and there is nothing worse then feeling like a million mosquitoes are feasting on your flesh.